May 15, 2013
Read Unification Proposal for Ontario
Throughout our long and often intertwined histories, Ontario’s Certified Management Accountants and Chartered Accountants have celebrated many milestones and accomplishments. Unification of the CMA and CA professions will build upon that proud legacy and harness the unlimited potential a united profession holds for our future - globally, nationally and provincially.
We believe the case for unification is strong and, after two years of planning, negotiation and consultation, becomes stronger every day. To summarize:
- Accounting bodies representing more than 85% of Canada’s professional accountants have publicly backed unification under the CPA designation. Unification is complete in Quebec, with two-way or three-way unification agreements at varying stages of completion in all of the other provinces and territories.
- CPA Canada has been created by the CICA and CMA Canada as a national body for the growing ranks of Canada’s CPAs.
- A united CPA Ontario organization will have a single set of rigorous standards for qualification and conduct to better protect the public interest.
- Uniting under the CPA designation will provide Ontario’s accountants with a stronger professional voice both at home and abroad.
- With size comes influence for standard setting and policy development on the provincial, national and international stages.
Work is well underway to ensure the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation becomes the pre-eminent, internationally-recognized Canadian accounting designation and business credential.
The governing Board of the Certified Management Accountants of Ontario and the Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (ICAO) support unification. Each believes that unification is the right course of action. And each is satisfied that appropriate processes have been implemented to ensure a transition will be fair and equitable for the members of both bodies.
In June, members of CMA Ontario and the ICAO will vote on unification. We encourage you to become informed, to join the dialogue and, most importantly, to cast your vote in favour of this proposal.
Nigel White, CPA, FCMA, CMO, C.Dir.
CMA Ontario Board of Directors
Merv Hillier, MBA, MSc HRM, CPA, FCMA, C.Dir., CMC
President and Chief Executive Officer